February 25, 2013

The Dreaded Iliotibial Band Again...

Just as I dared to think I was back on track with running and starting to make plans my dreaded knee pain/IT band problem is threatening to return. The first time it really became a problem was in April last year but I thought I had got past it and was running quite good distances again comfortably.

I can only think it's because I've neglected to do my exercises this last few weeks while things have been too crazy at home. I'm also running in my trail shoes a lot but, while they're brilliant for the muddy off road bits, we spend quite a bit of time on roads too and they probably aren't the right support for it.

So for now I have to go back the basics: RICE
Rest
Ice (cream)
Compression
Elevation

However I'm also on the lookout for tips and recommendations of how to overcome this injury. I know the problem isn't really in my knee even though that is where the pain is right now. My trainers are right for me (maybe not my trail ones admittedly) as I had my gait checked only a month or two ago.

I'm going to return to my regular exercises that helped last time but please suggest exercises or websites you have used and recommend as I really want to put this behind me once and for all! Also feel free to share success stories to let me know that I'm not going to be out of action forever!

Thanks :)

1 comment:

  1. Aww sorry to hear your injury is playing up! I know how frustrating that can be.. :( Just rest up, don't be too tempted to train again quickly and listen to your body! I am terrible for that and learn the hard way....oops!

    Lyndsay ♡
    Fizzy Peaches

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment :)